Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Road to Recovery is a Long One


Another long day in bed fighting this cold I caught in London, no fun!  I'm feeling a whole lot better tonight and I am going to rally Friday morning for a short road trip to Savoca about 30 miles north of Malibu near Taormina.

Why you ask?  Well, I am a life long reader of The National Geographic magazine and the February, 2009 issue that arrived in Camarillo just before I left had a feature article about "The Crypts of Sicily" and their mummies.

Savoca is also where Francis Ford Coppola filmed the wedding reception scene in "The Godfather" that was supposed to be the real western Sicilian town of Corleone.  Coppola thought that Corleone was too developed at the time of the filming in the early 1970's so he went to the east end of the island and found his perfect setting in Savoca.

It should be an interesting adventure.

If you want to read the National Geographic article on the "Crypts of Sicily" click


1 comment:

Andrew said...

Sorry I missed your call this morning... you sound like hell. Hope you feel better.