Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Return to Catania


The return flight on British Air from London's Gatwick Airport to Catania was smooth and uneventful, i.e., my one check-in bag arrived with me!

As I walked off the plane, a man and a woman working at the airport were engaged in a LOUD conversation, perhaps an argument. When I got to the front of the very short Customs line, the Inspector was also deep in conversation with another inspector and barely paid attention to me. I think he almost stamped his desk instead of my passport by mistake. IT WAS GOOD TO BE BACK IN SICILY!

In final retrospect on my trip home, it was indeed GREAT to see my family, friends and Mike's graduation. It was too much a whirlwind six days to even begin to think about relaxing. I didn't have time to watch ESPN or even my beloved Los Angeles Dodgers on TV as they were on a road trip. That being said, thanks to all of you for reminding me why I love you all so much!!!

When I exited the Customs area with my luggage I was greeted by the Catania Airport's walk up cafe...

Their first display case that caught my eye...

but no, it was too warm for pastries so I went with a Fanta and a gelato instead.

I was greeted outside the airport by another fine example of Italian advertising that again puts America's Madison Avenue types to shame!

For my Sicilian friends, Madison Avenue in New York City is the hub of the rather weak American advertising business.

We ate a fine meal at Nino Maninno's Restaurant to say good-bye to Jason and Christie's Canadian friends, Wei and Dale who were flying home at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday. Afterwards, at about 1:30 a.m. a round of shots sounded like a good idea to toast their departure...

We didn't know that Atilio, the bar's owner, was going to make them flaming shots!

The skin on my fingertips will grow back won't it?

We finally got back to Malibu at a little after 3:00 a.m. all safe, sound and a little singed.

In the morning, O.K., I didn't wake up until 12:35 p.m. but it seemed like morning to me!

I walked down to Mythos in Aci Trezza for granita and brioche and ran across another wedding party taking pictures.

The view of Aci Castello from the rocks in Aci Trezza

No comments: